Happy Monday! If you haven’t already read why I’m such a big fan of having at least one glass cabinet in your kitchen click here. Today I will teach you how to put glass in your cabinet doors.
Before I start a DIY project of this nature I always ask myself, if worst case scenario happened during this project what would be the next step? I don’t start the DIY project until I have a Plan B intact. In this case, worst scenario is the door gets ruined and becomes unusable (well, of course you could saw your fingers off, drop a piece of glass on your barefoot, or while you are doing this project an asteroid could hit planet earth, but most likely the worse case scenario is a ruined door). 🙂
Never fear though, if worst case scenario happens and you ruin the door I have found a great online source that sells cabinet doors that are already pre-cut for the glass to be inserted and they are fairly inexpensive. Your price depends on the specific options you choose for your door as can be seen in the picture below.
glass clip or fastners
4. Drill another hole right above the hole you just made. What you are doing is making the holes in the corners of door large enough so that our jig saw blade can fit in them. It must be done in all 4 corners of the door like the below picture (green marks represent where the holes should be made and hence where the jig saw blade will be inserted).
5. Put your jig saw blade into the first hole (jagged side of blade will be facing towards the top of the door).
6. Okay, you with me? You SO have this!!! Squeeze the button to make the jig saw go forward. Slowly move towards the top left corner and stop at your next set of holes. Note: If this is your first time using a jig saw then awesome, just make sure you practice a bit first on a spare piece of wood so that you get the feel of how it moves.
11. If you choose to do a router do so now.
16. Reattach your cabinet to the hinges and enjoy your beautiful new glass cabinets! 🙂
Don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions! My DIY glass cabinet only came to a whopping $18–that’s a lot bang for your buck! Think you’ll try it???